How do I know if I have plantar fasciitis or my heel infected?

Plantar fasciitis. The most common cause of heel pain is plantar fasciitis: an inflammation of a thick band of tissue that helps hold up the arch of your foot. It attaches to your heel bone, and is usually the most painful for the first few steps in the morning, or after sitting a long time and then standing quickly. See your podiatrist to rule out stress fracture, infection, or tarsal tunnel syndrome.
Exam. I would recommend that if there is any question about a potential infection an exam would be the best way to find out. If plantar fasciitis, then treatment would be ice, stretching, shoe inserts, therapy etc.
Heel pain. You need to see a specialist, he is trained to examine and test you, to find out.... Don't guess at the difference....See a doctor.