How do I treat plantar fasciitis ?

Dr. Michael Wynn
Podiatry

In brief: Plantar faciitis

Stretching and nsaids ( aleve, (naproxen) ibuprofen, etc ) are the treatments you can do at home.
....If that does not resolve the issue... See a specialist..... You may not have plantar fasciitis... X-rays and sometimes a MRI are needed to rule out other heel pain causes.

In brief: Plantar faciitis

Dr. Michael Wynn
Dr. Michael Wynn
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: few ways

Good supportive shoes or arch supports.
If the fascia is "stressed" whether by a degenerative process or inflammation it needs to be supported while ambulating and have the strain taken off of it. Iceing the heel is helful. Stretching of your achilles tendon helps, antiinflammatories can be useful as well. Night splints often help to relieve morning pain or pain on the first few steps.

In brief: few ways

Good supportive shoes or arch supports.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Oliver Wang
Podiatry

In brief: Multiple ways

Treatment requires a combination of stretching, icing, physical therapy, anti-inflammatories, change in shoegear and custom made orthotics that are well made.
Other more invasive options include shock wave therapy, cortisone injections, and surgery to release the tight plantar fascia.

In brief: Multiple ways

Dr. Oliver Wang
Dr. Oliver Wang
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry

In brief: Combo treatment.

If you have plantar fasciitis, and hurt most with the first few steps in the morning, the more you can do together, the better: #1: supportive shoes.
#2: firm inserts or orthotics. #3: oral antiinflammatories (check with your doctor). #4: stretching your foot and calf. #5: icing (10 min at a time). You may also need physical therapy or cortisone injections, or eswt if available in your area.

In brief: Combo treatment.

Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Libby Putnam

In brief: Protocol...

I'd say 98% of my plantar fascitis patients respond to non-surgical treatments.
.. Rest, supportive insoles, rx orthotics, otc anti-inflammatories (like aleve), prescription nsaid's, steroid injections, prp injections, physical therapy, etc... If all else fails... Surgery.

In brief: Protocol...

Dr. David Hettinger
Dr. David Hettinger