New to orthotics - what should I know?

Dr. Mark Bromson
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Depends
First, we don't know whether you actually need orthotic devices or not, .
In my experience, many people who are prescribed orthoses either don't need them, or are prescribed the wrong ones. Assuming you do need them, it is best to wean into them slowly, as it can take a while to get acclimated . If they continue to hurt you need to get them adjusted, or get a second opinion.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Mark Bromson
Dr. Mark Bromson
Dr. Oliver Wang
Podiatry
In brief: Break in slowly
Orthotics are like braces for your teeth, you need to break them in or you may have significant discomfort.
The orthotics are meant to apply pressure to your arch to restore the architecture of your foot. It takes time for soft tissue on the top of the foot to stretch out and allow repositioning of your foot bones.

In brief: Break in slowly
Dr. Oliver Wang
Dr. Oliver Wang
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery