What's your experiences with gout?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: I agree with Dr. Gol
I cannot remember in my 29yr career a single patient with recent onset attacks that coul;d not be remitted.
Obviously, people with long standing, untreated hyperuricemia, can have tophi, joint damage/destruction. Medication can reduce the urate deposits, but cannot solve the joint damge issue.

In brief: I agree with Dr. Gol
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Mainly good
Gout is one of the types of arthritis that often can be well controlled.
Diagnosis is important - there are different types of gout. We have medications that help control the recurrence of gout if the person is compliant in taking them. Acute attacks are usually easily treated. The most important thing after the correct diagnosis is to lower the uric acid level to at least below 6.

In brief: Mainly good
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Adam Smith