How does cfs relate to other illnesses such as fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivities, gulf war syndrome, neurally mediated hypotension, Lyme disease, and candida?

Dr. John Leander Po
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Simply put...

The underlying theme describes a constellation of signs and symptoms that we have absolutely no clear, concise idea how it biologically works, how to effectively treat it, and how to address its neuro-psychiatric effects, unfortunately, it is this ambiguity that is being exploited by some quacks, to spread misinformation about each of the diagnoses mentioned (and it's not exhaustive).

In brief: Simply put...

Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. John Leander Po
3 comments
Dr. Randy Baker
While I agree that we have no clear idea of how CFS "biologically works" I am happy to report that there is proven effective treatment for CFS and fibromyalgia (via a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study no less). Please see http://www.endfatigue.com/resources/Effective-Treatment-Of-Severe-Chronic-Fatigue-States.html. Many of my patients have benefited from this type of treatment.
Dr. John Leander Po
Thanks- I appreciate the URL- definitely relish anything that has some research rigor!
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Similar symptoms but

Many people with cfs have symptoms similar to the conditions you mention, but by definition someone with cfs has severe fatigue with no other known causative illnesses.
Thus, if someone has lyme, by definition they do not have cfs, as lyme is the cause of their symptoms. However, many with a diagnosis of cfs may have underlying problems like lyme or candida that have not been properly diagnosed.

In brief: Similar symptoms but

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Theodore Cole

In brief: Symptoms!

Fatigue is a symptom. Cfs is given as a diagnosis when no cause has been found.
However, fatigue, like any other symptom, always has a cause. If the cause hasn't been found, then you just haven't looked in the right place(s) yet. The main methods currently used for diagnosis (blood work, imaging studies, etc.) don't always show the cause, and other methods then need to be used.

In brief: Symptoms!

Dr. Theodore Cole
Dr. Theodore Cole
Dr. Adam Levy