I have what appears to be a gout on my left foot, but it never hurt. What do I do?

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: Some

There are some people who don't have pain with gout.
That doesn't mean that the process is not damaging joints and it should still be managed.

In brief: Some

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel

In brief: Get an exam

Gout is usually a painful condition where the joint gets hot, red and painful.
The only way to tell is to get an examination and probably blood work. If swelling is constant then a sample of the joint fluid may be necessary at well as x-rays to examine the bone.

In brief: Get an exam

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Gout is painful

If you having swelling in the left foot that is not tender, red, or warm you need to see a physician to rule out other casues of swlling, such as fluid retention or blood clot to name two possibiities.
All gout patient's I have seen are in fairly severe pain.

In brief: Gout is painful

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. Peter Kurzweil