What are your recommendations of natural versus prescription medications for gout?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not natural

Gout is the painful precipitation of uric acid crystals in various joints of the body the most famous being the great toe.
Management is by blocking synthesis of the uric acid by a pharmacological agent called allopurinol. This is so effective, and safe, that i wonder why anyone would consider anything else. No "natural" product comes close.

In brief: Not natural

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Why you have gout

It depends on why you have gout.
If you drink too much, stopping alcohol can be a natural way to treat gout. I am not certain what natural therapies have any benefit comparing to prescriptions medications. Some that ahve been mentioned whihc I have no familiarity with include: cherries, lime, bannas, apple, french beans juice, etc. Rest, elevation of the involved extremity etc.

In brief: Why you have gout

It depends on why you have gout.
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman