If I want to prevent gout does that mean completely no red meat and booze?

Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Each person differs

Although alcohol can increase the risk of gout in some, and decreasing alcohol can help prevent gout and in some depending on the amount ingested stop gout.
Dietary restriction of red meat is unlikely to stop gout. People with gout more often have metabolic changes and/or renal (kidney) changes that leads to elevated uric acid, that leads to the production of urate crystals that cause gout.

In brief: Each person differs

Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: I hate to say but

Those two changes in your diet maybe the 2 most important dietary changes you can make.
It certainly can limit or possible eliminate gouty flares.

In brief: I hate to say but

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER