What research is being conducted to help people who have polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis?

Dr. Bud Kurwa
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not aware of new res

I am not aware of new research, I am sure its being done.
As pertaining to the eyes gca is crucially important to treat before eye get involved, there is a serious risk of blindness.

In brief: Not aware of new res

Dr. Bud Kurwa
Dr. Bud Kurwa
Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine

In brief: PMR

Polymyalgia rheumatica is an inflammatory illness affecting the neck, shoulders upper back and torso.
The causes are likely to be inflammation similar to arthritis, but a few studiessuggest a virus may be responsible. Also pmr can be associated with other diseases such as malignancy, and arteritis. Treatment with small does of Prednisone for months to years is almost always effective.

In brief: PMR

Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Alfred Kim
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: IL-6

Would look toward john stone's work at mgh (harvard) trying to determine which fraction of giant cell arteritis (which is seen in 50% of pmr cases and thought to be related) is due to elevated il-6 or hyperactive il-6 receptor signaling.

In brief: IL-6

Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Alfred Kim