Can my family doc do anything for a possible broken foot?

Maybe. Some family docsay treat simple fractures that require conservative treatment. Others prefer not to. However, if your particular fracture requires surgery, you will be referred out to a specialist such as a podiatrist or foot/ankle orthopedist.
X-rays. Yoir family doctor may have x-rays on their practice and can image your foot to see if it is truly broken. Or they can splint your foot to let it rest. Either way if you suspect you have a broken foot you should have it checked out by a doctor.