I felt a painful pop when chewing. Did I rupture a mouth muscle or is this a TMJ symptom?

Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: A TMJ symptom
Painful popping noises in the jaw joint while chewing are a common manifestation of TMJ problems.
It usually indicates a partially displaced TMJ disc inside the jaw joint. To my knowledge, you can't rupture a mouth muscle while chewing. If the painful popping continues, you may want to seek treatment to prevent the disc from becoming completely displaced which may lead to locking or arthritis.

In brief: A TMJ symptom
Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry
In brief: Symptom
Joints should be quiet.
Painful pops should be evaluated. Most likely some joint damage has occurred. The nose at be the head of he aw is moving onto and off of its disc. This derangement can be stabilized. Have it heckled out!

In brief: Symptom
Joints should be quiet.
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman
In brief: Have it checked
If this is the first time that you have experienced a painful pop, you may have been on the borderline of a TMJ problem for awhile.
Have this checked even if you think it may be a one time occurrence. Prevention is the best remedy. Know what to do if this event happens again!

In brief: Have it checked
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: TMJ
TMJ symptom of displaced disk.
See a TMJ expert. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

In brief: TMJ
TMJ symptom of displaced disk.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Jack Hinkle