I have a new cavity. How do I stop my mouth from swelling?

Dr. J.Todd Martin
Dentistry
In brief: See a dentist
If you see a dentist right when you have a cavity starting you will not have swelling.
You get swelling when you have waited to long and have infection. At that point you will most likely need an extraction or a root canal. You want to have your cavities filled before you have pain.

In brief: See a dentist
Dr. J.Todd Martin
Dr. J.Todd Martin
Dr. Marsha Davis
In brief: Maybe antibiotics
If you have a cavity and mouth swelling thereby be an abscess that might need antibiotics.
Sometimes there is an abscess that needs to be drained. You might need a root canal. I am not a dentist but if i were you i would sure see one soon!

In brief: Maybe antibiotics
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Antibiotics do not "cure" abscessed teeth, just limits spread of infection into surrounding tissues. Tooth needs root canal Rx or extraction. Please see Dentist NOW.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Not new
If you have swelling you have a long-standing cavity (tooth infection) that has now infected the nerve chamber of the tooth (abscess) and is now spreading to bone, gums, circulatory system, etc.
Antibiotics may slow spread of infection for as long as you're on the medication, but Dentist has to cure this long-standing problem w Root Canal Rx or a Extraction.

In brief: Not new
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Jack Hinkle