Filling caused root canal and crown - dentist at fault?

Dr. Gregory Barry
Dentistry

In brief: Thanks for asking!

A fillings most important function is to be leak proof.
When the tooth is prepared for a filling not all of the bacteria is removed. Some are still hiding in the tooth structure and will continue to decay the tooth at a slower rate when covered by the filling because there is little to no oral fluids leaking in to feed the bugs. In time the bugs win again and then you get a root canal and crown.

In brief: Thanks for asking!

Dr. Gregory Barry
Dr. Gregory Barry
Dr. Eyal Simchi
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: Not necessarily

Without more information it is impossible to tell.
With any larger cavity you run the risk of needing a root canal and/or crown.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Eyal Simchi
Dr. Eyal Simchi
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Yes, No, Maybe?

I can't give you a better answer than that.
I didn't examine you, see x-rays of the tooth nor treat you (nor watch what the dentist did or did not do). I understand how you might feel relating the two in a cause\effect relationship, but teeth often require rct even with the best dentist doing all the right things. Who is at fault for getting the cavity in the first place?

In brief: Yes, No, Maybe?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Peter Karsant
Dentistry

In brief: No

With the change of a filling or fixing deep decay you run the risk of the nerve dying and the need of root canal.

In brief: No

Dr. Peter Karsant
Dr. Peter Karsant
Dr. Rea Middleton
Dentistry

In brief: Not Necessarily

If the tooth had a large cavity, large filling or a crack then the root canal and crown may have been unavoidable.
Sometimes we (dentists) try to be conservative or shall i say a hero and try to do a filling on a tooth that needs a root canal and/or a crown. You should trust your dentist feel free to ask questions and request your xrays and get a second opinion if you are ever not sure.

In brief: Not Necessarily

Dr. Rea Middleton
Dr. Rea Middleton
Dr. Danni Sayman
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: NO

Root canal is a consequence of an old filling probably cracked, leaking, with caries underneath.
Root canal will eliminate the infection and crown will protect the tooth. Dentist is ok.

In brief: NO

Dr. Danni Sayman
Dr. Danni Sayman
Dr. SHERYL POMERANCE
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Damaged tooth

Dental fillings do not cause a tooth's nerve to detriorate.
By the time a tooth requires a large filling, the inside of the tooth has already sustained irritation. Teeth respond differently to treatment. The dentist is not at fault for redering care. The patient is responsible for the original condition of the tooth. There could be an internal fracture due to habitual clenching.

In brief: Damaged tooth

Dr. SHERYL POMERANCE
Dr. SHERYL POMERANCE
Dr. Randolph Todd
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: Need more info

Root canal treatment is usually needed to treat an infection.
On occasion it is required for restoring the tooth to function. If the pulp (organ found in tooth) was exposed due to depth of decay root canal treatment is appropriate. Please offer more information that lead up to your treatment. I am unable to offer any further opinion.

In brief: Need more info

Dr. Randolph Todd
Dr. Randolph Todd
Dr. Vicken Poochikian