Does gum disease always develop into periodontal disease if people don't look after their teeth?

Always... Gum disease is a common name for periodontal disease. It is chronic disease, like diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure etc. Once you get it- it is forever...Early signs may be gums bleeding, bad breath, later you may get teeth moving and, if neglected- you may loose teeth. Periodontal disease is caused by bacteria, there is some genetic predisposition also. So, my advise is: do not wait.!
Likely. Gum disease...Infection in the gum that surrounds teeth. Unattended infection can spread to the teeth and cause periodontal disease. Eating healthy foods (non gmo, organic, more fresh foods, variety of foods, less processed and "comfort foods") will help the immune system. Flossing is crucial! If you have gum disease see someone and get it taken care of before it progresses.