I used cold water instead of room temperature water. Could that be the reason I got a dry socket?

In brief: No

You should not have sucked it through a straw.
You somehow forced the blood clot in the socket out. Now the tissue must heal by secondary intention which means the cells have to go down in the socket layer by layer to heal it instead of across the clot.

In brief: No

Dr. Robert Eckelson
Dr. Robert Eckelson
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: Probably not

After tooth extraction, the nerves are exposed.
The body tries to cover them with a blood clot. The water dislodged/dissolved the clot, leaving nerves exposed. Cold water set them off. See oral surgeon to have extraction site packed & other treatment if indicated.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Peter Kurzweil