How can I prevent dry socket after wisdom teeth removal?

Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Avoid . . .
Vigorous rinsing, spitting sucking through a straw and smoking as these may increase the risk of developing a dry socket.

In brief: Avoid . . .
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Charlene Sojico
In brief: Some do's to help
Start taking pain meds immediately afterwards.
Do not wait until pain sets in! take it easy for the rest of the day.No exercises for 12-24 hrs, no heavy lifting for 2-3 days.Keep your head up w pillows first nite.Stick to liquid or soft diet first day or two-soups, smoothies, yogurts etc.Avoid spicyfoods, hot drinks and sodas for 3-4 days.Rinse after every meal, snack.Do not spit forcefully! good luck.

In brief: Some do's to help
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry
In brief: Bone grafting
I agree with the other doctors.
.. As additional piece of information, we have never seen a dry socket when bone grafting has been used for socket preservation. It fills the hole from the extracted tooth and the clot is not exposed as with a traditional wisdom tooth extraction without bone grafting.

In brief: Bone grafting
I agree with the other doctors.
Dr. James Wright
Dr. James Wright
Dr. Jonathan Jassey