Can you have a cavity filled without taking a shot?

Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: That depends

That depends on the size and location of the cavity.
Small - medium sized cavities on the chewing surface can often be fixed comfortably with out needing "a shot" (local anesthesia). Getting deep cavities and/or cavities between teeth fixed will definitely feel more comfortable if you do have local anesthesia placed.

In brief: That depends

Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Yes.

Yes.

In brief: Yes.

Yes.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry

In brief: Yup

But it is going to feel very sharp and sting and hurt.
But I have had some people that want it done with out the shot...Some make it...Some don't.

In brief: Yup

Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Varies greatly

It's amazing the difference in pain threshold among patients.
I have treated patients with giant cavities that feel nothing when I drill on the tooth, while others are so sensitive I can't properly even work on the tooth for an ordinary cleaning. Most are somewhere in the middle of that spectrum I often use nitrous oxide/oxygen analgesia (laughing gas=sweet air) to avoid using injection.

In brief: Varies greatly

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Depends

on size of the cavity, your threshold for pain and your concerns about being numbed up.
Talk to your dentist about your concerns.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Keegan Duchicela