Are there any medications people with lupus should avoid? 

David Miller

In brief: Drug induced lupus

There is a fairly lengthy list of drugs that can induce a lupus-like syndrome, which can exacerbate lupus in a patient.
The list includes anesthetics, antibiotics, anti-seizure drugs and others. So long as you always make sure that you doctors and dentists know that you have lupus, they will make sure that you don't get these meds.

In brief: Drug induced lupus

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Sulfa

Sulfa and ecchinacia are suggested.
Sulfa is still debated as a cause in some cases and ecchinacia can be an immune stimulant possibly stimulating lupus activity. Neither of these are definite but suggestions. Sometimes people with lupus need a sulfa antibiotic and I have used it in those situations. Your doctor can advise you.

In brief: Sulfa

Sulfa and ecchinacia are suggested.
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Jack Hinkle