I have had sciatica for the last 2 months and co-odamol tablets don't seem to help. Is there anything I can do to ease the symptoms?

Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Sciatica

Yes. Usually treatment directed at the cause is the most effective e.
g. Physical therapy. Search for answers concerning what is the cause and then ask for treatment of the cause. Pain medicine does not usually cure anything.

In brief: Sciatica

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Pinched Nerve

Sounds like you have a pinched nerve in your back.
I would suggest seeing a pain/spine specialist to evaluate you further to evaluate what level and what can be done to treat you. There are interventional treatments besides medications and surgeries that might reduce or eliminate the pain altogether.

In brief: Pinched Nerve

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Kevin Teal
Neurosurgery

In brief: Workup needed

If you have had leg pain for 8 weeks without relief you need a lumbar MRI without contrast to see what is going on.
You can try therapy, injections, nerve blocks, avoiding of lifting, bending and twisting. Most sciatica, pain down back or side of leg, resolves on it's own in 6 weeks. Your last option will be surgery to remove a disc bulge if your MRI confirms that. This relieves pain in 80-90%.

In brief: Workup needed

Dr. Kevin Teal
Dr. Kevin Teal
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Pain Management

In brief: See article on DRG

In a word, yes. First, see your doctor and get a MRI to assess the cause.
A class of medications most used are anti-seizure drugs such as lyrica (pregabalin). A procedure abbreviated esi be curative. If it fails, the procedure we have found to most consistently work is a special type of radio frequency of the nerve. You can read an article i authored in the june 2005 issue of issue pain physician.

In brief: See article on DRG

Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. Eric Weisman