How can I best deal with my ptsd? Is psychiatry the best method, emdr or other modality?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: PTSD

Is a complicated and very painful illness.
Emdr has been shown to reduce some of the symptoms of ptsd, but there is no research to suggest that this method alone will resolve the problem. Working with a therapist who incorporates multiple modalities and a psychiatrist who can help you function at your best at each stage of recovery is probably the best method.

In brief: PTSD

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Carlos Neu

In brief: Complex condition

Ptsd is a complicated condition as it represents a disorder that can be precipitated by very different traumatic events.
My recommendation is that you meet with a professional who is competent in the area of ptsd and discuss with him/her what the best approach could be to address your trauma. I am sure that you will be presented with a number of options to choose from alone or in combination.

In brief: Complex condition

Dr. Carlos Neu
Dr. Carlos Neu
Dr. William A Biermann
I agree. After a heart transplant and months before in an ICU I had PTSD. I found an excellent therapist who used multiple techinques to help. As a physician I had to see people in a ICU which was very difficult at first. This is excellent advice
Dr. Seth Kunen
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Effective treatments

Are independent of discipline.
The most effective treatments today involve some form of exposure therapy, psychoeducation, and cognitive behavioral therapy. Some theorists believe, myself included, that emdr is a form of exposure therapy. Medication sometimes helps.

In brief: Effective treatments

Are independent of discipline.
Dr. Seth Kunen
Dr. Seth Kunen
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Collaborative Care

In a condition as complex as ptsd, collaborative teamwork is essential.
You might need a psychiatrist who helps with pharmaceutical medications & supportive therapy, and a psychotherapist who is skilled with deeper work including emdr. Group work can be useful also. For those very sensitive to pharmaceuticals, homeopathy can help as well. Practitioners need to communicate with each other too.

In brief: Collaborative Care

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Samuel Miles

In brief: Psychotherapy, meds

Individualized treatment should be tailored to you and your symptoms.
Some form of exposure psychotherapy may include individual and group sessions. (emdr may be considered a form of exposure therapy which includes a specific ritual to enhance coping) medication may be prescribed for insomnia, increased arousal, anxiety, depression, or paranoia.

In brief: Psychotherapy, meds

Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Ptsd

A trained professional counselor that works with cognitive behavior therapy, and a psychiatrist to evaluate for meds.

In brief: Ptsd

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: That depends

Simple ptsd may respond well to emdr, cognitive processing therapy (cpt) & other modalities.
Emdr is not as effective with complex ptsd especially if the ptsd is severe. In that situation cpt and appropriate psychotropic medications may be effective. Video exposure tx is now being used as well. Group therapy, psychoeducation & family therapy also have a place in a comprehensive treatment plan.

In brief: That depends

Dr. Douglas Bey

In brief: Many approaches

You might find the book surviving the shadows by bob delaney helpful.

In brief: Many approaches

Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. William Forsythe