I have lupus. Is it safe for me to become pregnant?

Dr. Thomas Klein
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: High risk
Patients with lupus should be followed by an obstetrician who cares for high risk pregnant patients.
It is possible to deliver a normal, healthy baby. Make sure you get good prenatal care and testing. Your blood pressure and urine should be checked periodically.

In brief: High risk
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Benjamin Papoi
In brief: In most cases...yes
Payton, while just a short while ago, most physicians would have advised against it, today it can be accomplished quite commonly.
Your current health status and disease status should be evaluated prior to getting pregnant. Many medications are ill-advised or even deadly for the fetus, so you need to consult your family medicine doctor or obstetrician (ob/gyn) even before attempting pregnancy.

In brief: In most cases...yes
Dr. Benjamin Papoi
Dr. Benjamin Papoi
Dr. Adam Levy