I'm 17 months post op two level lumbar fusion surgery and still having muscle tightening, muscle fatigue, and muscle spasms...Is this common?

Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery

In brief: It can be

If you had a posterior approach for your surgery, the muscles can be damaged from the exposure and can result in chronic deconditioning and muscular pain.
You may benefit from a walking program and physical therapy to strengthen your core and lumbar muscles. Finally, it is important to confirm that you are indeed fused.

In brief: It can be

Dr. Atif Haque
Neurosurgery

In brief: 17 months out

Being 17 months out and still having significant problems could mean problems at other levels, as dr. Stein mentioned, or a lack of successful (solid) fusion at the operated level(s).
I would definitely consider discussing with your surgeon and getting new imaging studies.

In brief: 17 months out

Dr. Alvin Stein
Pain Management

In brief: There may be other

Levels that are unstable in the back that are causing the problem , prolotherapy can deal with forcing the other levels to heal without more surgery.
Prolotherapy can help. Visit www.Getprolo.Com or www.Aaomed.Org for a doctor and for info.

In brief: There may be other

Dr. Eric Weisman