What type of specialist handles lap band surgery?

General Surgeon. General surgeons perform the surgery to place the lap band. Some of these general surgeons have undergone fellowship training (1 year) in bariatric surgery to learn these techniques as well as other types of weight loss operations (gastric bypass, duodenal switch, etc.). There is no separate board certification process outside of that for general surgeons through the american board of surgery.
Lap band doctor. Surgeons place the band and should be in charge of maintaining them.
Bariatric Surgeons. Specialist for lap band surgery are considered bariatric surgeons. You should find a good reputable bariatric surgeon in your area. Looks for board certification in general surgery and specialized training on bariatrics if possible. Also look for surgeons who do the surgeries out of "bariatric centers of excellence" if you can they generally have strict regulations for safety.