What are some reasons for bleeding like a heavy period after a mirena (levonorgestrel) IUD is removed?

Mirena (levonorgestrel) Progestin withdrawal causes the bleeding. You'll go back to your normal heavier cycles now that the Mirena (levonorgestrel) is out. The homone in Mirena (levonorgestrel) lightens the cycle.
Normal period heavy. While you used Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud you enjoyed benefit of lighter periods... Good. Now without it your "natural" period is heavier than desired. You have choices. Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud, birth control pills, lysteda; or if you've completed family consider endometrial ablation--a 10 minute outpatient treatment that permanently set you free from heavy periods and the impact on your lifestyle. The choice is yours.