Which hurts worse for pubic hair removal - waxing or laser hair removal? What about scarring?

Neither comfortable. Both means are often a bit uncomfortable. Irriation from waxing and from laser hair removal is relatively common side-effect but short lasting. Scarring can typically be avoided by care for the site after the treatment. Your provider should be able to look at your skin and your history to help you decide whether waxing or laser removal is best for you. Laser tends to last longer.
Different. I have personally had both. They both hurt but in a different way. But remember if you are a good candidate for laser you don't have to let the hair grow out before the treatment and eventually you may be able to stop even laser treatments or have an occasional touch up. With waxing you will have to continue indefinitely.