How can you tell if you are recovering correctly after wisdom teeth removal?

No pain. Most people have pain for 2-3 days and be uncomfortable or aware for up to a week. You had 4 big teeth yanked out of your head and they leave big holes that have to fill in from the bottom up.Hopefully you got instructions on what symptoms to call about. Homeopathic arnica and hypericum can help a lot. Persistent pain or a nagging feeling that something isn't right merit a call to your doc.
Minimal pain. You can tell, if the pain and swelling is reducing significantly. Also, you should be feeling better everyday and should be able to open your mouth wider daily.