What's good for poison ivy and poison oak?

Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Steroids

These reactions represent a contact allergy, and can be quite severe.
The affected area needs to be washed thoroughly, and topical steroid creams can be applied. You can start with 1% Hydrocortisone from the drug store, but a more potent prescription cream will probably be necessary. In severe cases, oral Prednisone my be required.

In brief: Steroids

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Tara Passow
Dermatology

In brief: Wash it off

Most important is to wash the juice off your skin as soon as possible.
Cool soaks or ice packs can help. Hydrocortisone cream or anti-itch products like calamine, itch-x, etc. May help. Beyond that you may need prescription medication.

In brief: Wash it off

Dr. Tara Passow
Dr. Tara Passow