is there a special diet I should eat or foods I should avoid for hemochromatosis?

Certainly. Red meats are known for iron content in them, so avoid those, avoid foods high in vitamin c, as it increases iron absorption. Foods high in sugar should be avoided, as it increases iron absorption. Avoid raw shellfish. Alcohol in moderation, better off - none. Should eat - nuts, veggies, grains, rice, beans. Coffee and tea are fine if not consumed in excessive amounts.
Iron /sugars. Hemochromatosis is a multisystem disorder of inappropriately increased dietary iron absorption and increased iron release from erythrophagocytosis. If left untreated, it can lead to life-threatening complications that include cirrhosis, hepatocellular cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Avoid iron (avoid eating liver, meats)and glucose (low iron diabetic diet).
Not really. Once you've started your phlebotomy treatments, you have my permission to eat what you like, even iron-rich steak or Product 19. Diet won't save your life without phlebotomy, or spoil it if you do comply.