Swollen lymph node in neck I was told could be from infection in mouth. I don't want to go back because scared it's cancer?

Fear is the killer. Go back now...If it is just from infection than a round of antibiotics will take care of it. But if its cancer it will only get worse and grow larger and deeper. This makes it harder to cure. And we like to cure you.
Go back. Hopefully it is not cancer. But if it is, the earlier it is diagnosed, the better your chance for cure. Also - and importantly - the side effects of treatment are much worse for advanced head and neck cancer and the recurrence rate after treatment is much worse when it is advanced. If it is cancer - it won't go away and it will make you miserable without treatment. Get it checked!
Go back. Your doctor's impression is likely correct. Infection can and should be treated. Untreated infection can kill faster than a cancer.