If there is a drug I can take for iron overload, wouldn't it be better to use that, instead of giving blood all of the time?

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics
In brief: No
I am answering n0, because I do not know of a medcation that would remedy this problem without the necessity of withdrawing blood to keep the level of iron within an acceptable range.
I am sure that consulting your hematologist would give you a better explanation than the one I have given you. Perhaps one of the colleagues on this site could help you more, good luck.

In brief: No
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Michael Dugan
Internal Medicine - Hematology
In brief: Confusion
Iron overload is treated with chelating drugs or therapeutic phlebotomy (bleeding the patient), not transfusion.
Iron deficiency is treated with supplementation in preference to transfusion.

In brief: Confusion
Dr. Michael Dugan
Dr. Michael Dugan
Dr. Adam Smith