Why do I hear crackling in my ear when opening wide?

In brief: Pressure change

When you open wide, a muscle called the levator palitini stretches out the tube that connects the middle ear to your throat.
That makes sure it opens wide to let air enter the middle ear. Air movement equalizes the vacuum created when your middle ear skin absorbs oxygen from its air. It is a simple benign process. If it doesn't bother you ignore it.

In brief: Pressure change

Dr. Steven Levine
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Eustachian tube

Your symptom is related to dysfunction of the eustachian tube that connects the back of the nose to the middle ear.
If the problem has persisted for more than 2 weeks, i recommend you see an ear, nose & throat specialist.

In brief: Eustachian tube

Dr. Steven Levine
Dr. Steven Levine
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery