Must I have a liver biopsy to confirm a diagnosis of hemochromatosis before I can begin treatment?

Pathology

In brief: I say no

I think I'm in the majority.
If it's obvious that you have the disease (very high ferritin and symptoms / imaging findings, and/or mutant HFE gene), I think most physicians will treat you.

In brief: I say no

I think I'm in the majority.
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
Yes. I agree that biopsy will offer no additional management benefit. Response to phlebotomy will be an additional confirmation of diagnosis
Dr. Fernando Austin
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Hemochromatosis

Liver biopsy was formerly considered the "gold standard" for establishing the diagnosis.
With the availability of genetic testing as well as the clinical assessment of the patient with other tests, liver biopsy is no longer considered essential to establish the diagnosis of hemochromatosis , depending upon local expertise & training however, a liver biopsy may still be recommended.

In brief: Hemochromatosis

Dr. Fernando Austin
Dr. Fernando Austin
Dr. Cosme Manzarbeitia
While that is true, it confirms diagnosis and establishes a baseline for comparison prior to initiating therapy. It also helps establish the hepatic iron load and the fibrosis stage of the liver disease,
Dr. Marsha Davis

That is how definitive diagnosis is made and separated from other disorders.

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Jack Hinkle