Will a panoramic dental X-ray detect tmd?

Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Possibly

A panoramic x-ray is a good screening tool for tmd and is usually the first x-ray taken.
However, a panoramic x-ray will only reveal tmd if there is bony involvement of the tmj, such as various forms of arthritis, like rheumatoid, psoriatic or osteoarthritis (also known as degenerative joint disease). A panoramic x-ray will not show any soft tissue problems, such as a displaced disc; an MRI will.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Sometimes

A panoranic xray is a screening film, Can see gross TMJ problems.
Need cone beam CT scan or MRI scans for a better image.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Thomas Davis
Dentistry

In brief: Panoramic radiograph

A panoramic radiograph is one tool to evaluate the bone contours around the TMJ region.
Other additional detection techniques such as doppler auscultation, checking the bite, medical history, plus checking your range of motion of your jaw.

In brief: Panoramic radiograph

Dr. Thomas Davis
Dr. Thomas Davis

In brief: Yes and No

I always like to have a panoramic x-ray taken at my initial screening.
The x-ray can at least show the position of the jaw joints. It is also invaluable for screening potential abscessed teeth, though not as definitive as the periapical x-rays. The sinuses can be viewed and other abnormalities. The x-ray and exam can better help the TMJ doctor consider other types of x-rays or an mri.

In brief: Yes and No

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry

In brief: One aspect

Taking an x-ray is one aspect of diagnosing tmd.
A hands on comprehensive dental exam is the best approach and a treatment plan to relieve symptoms can be determined.

In brief: One aspect

Dr. James Wright
Dr. James Wright
Dr. Jack Hinkle