Does bipolar disorder run in the family?

Yes it does. Lf one of the parent has bipolar the risk for his children 15-25 % if both parents has it the risk can reach 50% and more.
Yes it is genetis. Please go to cabf and read the details and dbsa, all the studies show genetic markers, also kindling means , with every generation the frequency and intensity increases and also the age of onset seems to decrease so the preventive measures are very important. Sleep markers and regulation of sleep in babies, noticing of their temperment and avoiding stimulants unless mood stabilised.
It is genetic and. We are considered to be the most complex genetic creature on the planet but interesting at the same time as we share the same pool with every living creature. Every illness we have has some gentic variant and then nature vs nature means environment allows or suppresses the gene to express or not . Bipolar dis has a very high genetic variant but nurture and environment and sleep diet drug preventio.