Why won't insurance cover blood tests to see if you carry the ovarian cancer gene?

Do You Qualify? Many insurances (including medicare) will cover the expense for brca testing, provided that a person has a 10% chance, or greater, of having the mutation. A risk estimate can be calculated by your age, personal history of cancer, and age and type of cancer in first-degree relatives. A risk calculator can be found on the website for the company that performs this blood test, myriad genetics.
Most will. Most insurances will cover testing of the breast and ovarian cancer genes (brca 1 & 2) as long as your risk is high enough to justify the testing. If you have ovarian cancer, or if multiple family members have had breast and/or ovarian cancer, especially at an early age, or if there is ashkenazi jewish heritage, most insurance carriers will cover the test.
Cost. It is not cost effective to screen every person for these genes who do not have a suggestive family history.