Do I need pt with my knee after having a patellar graft ACL reconstruction?

Dr. Theodore Shybut
Sports Medicine

In brief: Yes-optimizes result

One recent study reported similar outcomes in patients who followed a self-guided rehab program to those who did formal therapy-key point is that both groups were doing therapy; patellar tendon grafts in particular benefit from pt early on to avoid postop stiffness.
Talk to your surgeon-he/she should have a protocol for your therapist. I recommend sportsmetrics(tm) before return to agility sports.

In brief: Yes-optimizes result

Dr. Theodore Shybut
Dr. Theodore Shybut

In brief: Yes you do

Patellar graft, acl reconstruction is a complex knee reconstructive surgery.
You must follow your surgeon's instructions to get optimum results. You may need physical therapy for 6months or even more.

In brief: Yes you do

Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Usually

Pt after acl reconstruction is usually criteria based, meaning that you advance to more rigorous tasks after you achieve certain milestones.
Early pt focuses on range of motion, followed by strengthening later on in the process. I prescribe official pt for all my acl recon patients to ensure that patients are receiving appropriate guidance.

In brief: Usually

Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery