I am allergic to penicillin and I have tonsillitis what should I do if surgery?

Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Alternatives
There are plenty of non-penicillin alternatives that can be used; Erythromycin is one of the most common.
If you really need to be treated with a penicillin derivative, your allergist can desensitize you prior to starting the antibiotic. But it is always best to use an alternative so that you don't run the risk of having a penicillin reaction.

In brief: Alternatives
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Robert Knox
Most all antibiotics are effective for common bacterial tonsillitis. Viral tonsillitis will get better in five to seven days without use of antibiotics. Bacterial tonsillitis will also generally get better in 5 - 7 days, but antibiotics are used to prevent complications of bacterial tonsillitis.
Dr. Jeffrey Rumbyrt
In brief: Different drug
Fortunately, penicillin is not the only class of antibiotic that can be used to treat tonsilitis.
Other classes of antibiotics also are effective. In some circumstances when only penicillin can be used, an allergist can actually desensitize an allergic patient to the medication. This is not permanent however; that is, the desensitization effect goes away when the medication is stopped.

In brief: Different drug
Dr. Jeffrey Rumbyrt
Dr. Jeffrey Rumbyrt
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery