What can I expect in the first weeks after I bring my baby home?

Dr. Cornelia Franz
In brief: Change
Babies do change everything.
Expect to be happy. Expect to be exhausted. Expect to be emotional. Go with the flow and don't worry. Your job the first few weeks is to adapt to feeding, changing, loving a newborn. Ask for help, accept help. Let others do all the daily things. Your job as a new mom is to take care of you and the baby. Rest when you can. It gets a little easier every day.

In brief: Change
Babies do change everything.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
In brief: Exhaustion
Your baby will basically sleep and eat for several weeks.
Unfortunately, the eating should happen every 2-3 hours and lasts anywhere from 30-60 minutes, so this leaves little time to rest. Do not plan any major outings or parties during this time. Do share duties so that both mom and dad take turns at night. Get rest whenever you can and take advantage of offers to help that give you a break.

In brief: Exhaustion
Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Dr. Sharon Gilliland