I have really bad allergies to pain meds. What should I do if surgery?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: More information
Hard to answer your open question.
Narcotic pain meds or nsaids like Aspirin & ibuprofen? Are allergic symptoms hives, nausea, vomiting or breathing issues? I recommend that you not worry about these issues until you need surgery; then discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Pre-operatively you may be asked to consult an allergist or pain specialist or speak with the anesthesiologist.

In brief: More information
Hard to answer your open question.
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry
In brief: Notify your team
If you have multiple allergies to medications, it is important that you notify everyone involved in your care of your medication allergies.
It is a wise idea to write them down (or type them up) and include what your reactions to those medications are. I would also suggest that you include any food allergies, as some have cross reactivity to medications.

In brief: Notify your team
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Shontae Buffington