I am having elective surgery this am but developed a sore throat and cough. Will surgery continue?

Possibly not... For an elective procedure, you need to be in your best possible health to avoid post-op complications. If the procedure is delayed, it is only because the surgeon and anesthesiologist don't want you to have any untoward side effects. Any procedure, and anesthesia itself , carries inherent risk. If the doctors think you should reschedule, they are looking out for your best interests.
You should call in. Please call the surgeons answering service to discuss the issue. That will allow any discussion needed between the docs involved and free up the surgical suite for other patients that need help if they cancel. Your risk of a post operative pneumonia or other complication increases if you are sick.