I am having elective surgery this am but developed a sore throat and cough. Will surgery continue?

Possibly not... For an elective procedure, you need to be in your best possible health to avoid post-op complications. If the procedure is delayed, it is only because the surgeon and anesthesiologist don't want you to have any untoward side effects. Any procedure, and anesthesia itself , carries inherent risk. If the doctors think you should reschedule, they are looking out for your best interests.
You should call in. Please call the surgeons answering service to discuss the issue. That will allow any discussion needed between the docs involved and free up the surgical suite for other patients that need help if they cancel. Your risk of a post operative pneumonia or other complication increases if you are sick.

Related Questions

I had a bad cough and sore throat Sunday I had surgery 11/10/14 in now the cough is worse throat is worse chest hurting upper back is hurting?

Talk to your doctor. With recent surgery history now having cough, it should be wise to come see your doctor again. We don't know your medical history especially history of your recent surgery so we cannot give you good advice. Talk to your doctor who know more about you and what risks if any from your recent illness that might relate to your current cough and sore throat. Read more...
Cough. if your cough is worst and your chest hurt----you need to be evaluated by your doctor or ER chest X-ray/labs---especially if you are running any fevers or if your cough is productive. Read more...

Having Surgery on my ankles this Friday. I have a cold (cough, sore throat, and stuffy/runny rose). no fever. Is it safe to proceed with surgery?

Anesthesia will tell. It will be up the the anesthesiologist as well as the surgeon to make that call. A fever would cancel it, but a sore throat may depending on the anesthesia that is being given. If it is MAC, you could be ok. But if it is general, may have to re-schedule it. I would call ahead and give them a heads up before Friday. Read more...
Depends of type. of anesthesia and urgency of surgery. Considering your other medical problems, it might be wise to postpone your operation. Speak to your surgeon about timing of the operation. Read more...