Had low back pain for ten years, over last year it has been constant and gets worse with activities. Time for surgery?

No. Surgery is considered for back pain if you have cauda equina syndrome, which is pain radiating from your back down your leg to your toes, accompanied by numbness, weakness, muscle loss, diminished reflexes and problems controlling urine, or if you have imaging documented spinal instability or compression of the spinal cord or nerve roots (spinal stenosis). Non-radiating back pain doesn't qualify.
Time for surgery. If the pain is severe and you can no longer tolerate it than surgery may be an option. Pure mechanical back is an indication for spinal surgery. If your orthopaedic spine surgeon can identify the source of your pain be it the disc, facet joint etc....Than a fusion is an excellent surgical option if done correctly. 'you don't have to have just neurological deficits for surgical intervention.
Not necessarily. You need to start by seeing a physician. There are many causes of low back pain. Most cases of mechanical low back pain (even chronic pain) can be treated conservatively.