Had low back pain for ten years, over last year it has been constant and gets worse with activities. Time for surgery?

No. Surgery is considered for back pain if you have cauda equina syndrome, which is pain radiating from your back down your leg to your toes, accompanied by numbness, weakness, muscle loss, diminished reflexes and problems controlling urine, or if you have imaging documented spinal instability or compression of the spinal cord or nerve roots (spinal stenosis). Non-radiating back pain doesn't qualify.
Time for surgery. If the pain is severe and you can no longer tolerate it than surgery may be an option. Pure mechanical back is an indication for spinal surgery. If your orthopaedic spine surgeon can identify the source of your pain be it the disc, facet joint etc....Than a fusion is an excellent surgical option if done correctly. 'you don't have to have just neurological deficits for surgical intervention.
Not necessarily. You need to start by seeing a physician. There are many causes of low back pain. Most cases of mechanical low back pain (even chronic pain) can be treated conservatively.

Related Questions

I am 30 years old and I have had 2 back surgeries by the time I was 18 I had been seeing a doctor in town for 7 years and he up and left he treated me with methadone 40 mg a day and xanax 1 mg 3 times a day for my static nerve damage my low back pain and

What is the question. We don't know what your question is.Methadone and Xanax is not a treatment most doctors prescribe these days for low back pain due to any cause.You need to see a pain management specialist and may need to be weaned of Methadone and Xanax both highly habit forming drugs.And you will need the appropriate treatment including physical Therapy and other modalities as indicated. Read more...

I'm a 80 year whit severe low back pain after apsudartrosis that followeherniated disk whit no chances for repeated surgery how treating pain?

Back pain. I understand there are a number of board certified pain management specialists available. They should be able to arrive at solution that will help. Read more...
You really should . First get a second opinion from an orthopaedic spine surgeon or neurosurgeon. Then, you should see a pain management specialist if the second opinions did not recommend any further surgical intervention. Read more...