I always have pain with mammograms. Should I ask for a sonogram instead?

Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional
In brief: No
Sorry but please get your mammo. Try different technologist.

In brief: No
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: No
An ultrasound is not an alternative to mammography.
Speak with the mammography staff and see what you can do to limit the discomfort. They likely see people with the same problem and may have advice for you.

In brief: No
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Dr. William Nyman
Radiology
In brief: No
Mammograghy is still the best procedure we have for detecting early breast cancer in our population.
Ultrasound and breast MRI are very useful in the appropriate setting but are not the best for screening and cannot "replace" an annual mammogram. Unfortunately compression of the breast is necessary for optimum images and can be uncomfortable for some.

In brief: No
Dr. William Nyman
Dr. William Nyman
Dr. Adam Levy