Why does my gum hurt where my wisdom tooth was pulled years ago?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Many possibilites

It could be from food irritation\abrasion, canker sore, or an adjacent tooth or gum problem. It is usually very difficult for patients to pinpoint the actual source of dental problems.
See your dentist to find out what's causing your discomfort.

In brief: Many possibilites

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
2 comments
Dr. Harold Peltan
Agree. Also, in rarer cases, a small chip from the original tooth may be working its way to the surface.
Dr. Harold Peltan
Correction: Also, in rarer cases, a small piece of bone (not tooth) may work its way to the surface. Dr. Sandler advises that this normally happens within a few months of the extraction and not years later.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry

In brief: Dental evaluation

See a dentist and have this area evaluated.
It could be a problem with the tooth next to, a gum infection, and not related to the wisdom tooth. You need an exam with x-ray to find out what is going in and the best treatment.

In brief: Dental evaluation

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Arnon Rubin