Who should I see for hip pain: orthopedist or rheumatologist?

Dr. Carol Van der Harst
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Depends

An orthopedic surgeon can diagnose, image and treat most hip pain.
A rheumatologist specializes in medical problems with joint complications. If you are injured see orthopedics. If you are sick (with hip pain) you may start with your primary doctor to guide you.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Carol Van der Harst
Dr. Carol Van der Harst
Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: I agree

Though between the two i would start at an orthopedist.
If a referral to a rheumatologist is appropriate your physician will do so.

In brief: I agree

Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Stephen Massimi
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: You have options

Many specialties overlap, and for the hip this includes orthopedists, physiatrists (or physical medicine doctors), and rheumatologists.
Orthopedists and orthopedic focused physiatrsts probably see many hip pain patients, so it's a safe bet to start there. Rheumatologists by definition are joint doctors, and while they typically specialize in immune related joint disease, you can see them as well.

In brief: You have options

Dr. Stephen Massimi
Dr. Stephen Massimi
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine