Can diabetic peripheral neuropathy be reversed?

Holly Barth
General Practice

In brief: Some

Usually by getting a diabetic person's sugars tightly controlled, some of the neuropathy will be reversed.
However, severe nerve damage is a permanent problem. Dr kurzweil review: there is no question that well-controlled diabetes helps prevent progression of the complications. I'm not aware of evidence that actual pathological changes in peripheral nerves can be reversed.

In brief: Some

Holly Barth
Holly Barth
Answer assisted by Holly Barth, Medical Student
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: Unlikely

It can likely be partially reversed with good blood sugar control.
There are several medications that help to treat the pain and allow one to live comfortably.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: To some extent yes

Under ideal conditions with a well controlled diabetic diet, and exercise peripheral neuropathy may improve.

In brief: To some extent yes

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Arnon Rubin