Please tell me how long it takes for to recover from open heart surgery?

Dr. Brian Mott
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: 2 months
Traditionally most patients have showered and left hospital in 4 or 5 days post op.
They are then seen in office at 10 days and most are ready to get back to their life. They generally are tired still. I recommend 2 months off work, no strenuous exercise, and then start cardiac rehab. If you had minimally invasive surgery with smaller incision or no sternotomy recovery is faster.

In brief: 2 months
Dr. Brian Mott
Dr. Brian Mott
Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Depends
Depends on age, general health and fitness before surgery, presence of other issues, especially smoking/lung disease.
If young and healthy, you're home in 4 days, taking short hikes by 2 weeks. The average is: home in narcotic pain meds by 2-4 weeks.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery