What to if I am having a partial knee replacement, what to expect?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Good outcome

If it is done the wright way for the wright diagnosis.

In brief: Good outcome

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Pain relief, happy

When done well it is a wonderful way to relieve the pain of knee arthritis or avn, and restore function.
The procedure resurfaces the worn cartilage surfaces with metal and polyethylene plastic so that a low friction articulation is returned that relieves pain and allows for smooth motion. Proper implant placement is critical for long term success and robotics makes it precise & reproducible.

In brief: Pain relief, happy

Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Most high volume partial knee surgeons do this on an outpatient basis or one night stay. Incisions can be large or small. Accuracy of implant alignment, ligament balance, and implant tracking are the keys to long term success after a properly selected patient is chosen. Partial knee replacement has been hard to perform consistently and reproducibly over the years, and failure to do so increases the risk for early failure, bearing wear down, loosening and opposite side overloading and wear. Because of the installation difficulty, most surgeons choose the more forgiving and reproducible total knee procedure for their knee arthritis patients. With the introduction of the Robotic Arm Interactive System from Mako Surgical Corp in 2006, these issues have been solved. Surgeons trained on this system can align the implants precisely within 1 degree, balance the ligaments within a millimeter through the entire range of motion and make the implants track right down the center of one another, each and every time. This system allows surgeons to collect real-time kinematic data intra-operatively and adjust the implants for optimal positioning before the surfaces are prepared with the robotic arm. My patients have had very good results with my no tourniquet technique that is quadriceps sparing and done as an outpatient with cemented implants. With over 500 procedures that I have done in the past 2.5 years, the patients I have found recover in weeks, improve from their preop motion in 6 weeks by an average of 8 degrees, do not require more than 2-3 weeks of gentle physical therapy, and can return to activities of daily living off pain killers in 2-3 weeks most of the time. Talk to your surgeon about partial knee replacement if you have failed conservative management of your arthritis.
Dr. David Fisher
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: 6-12 week recovery

The knee will recover its function within 6-12 wks.
It will continue to improve for 6 months or more. You may have pain and difficulty sleeping at night for 4-6 weeks, followed by a gradual return of energy and function. Most patients return to full activity by 3 months after surgery.

In brief: 6-12 week recovery

Dr. David Fisher
Dr. David Fisher
Dr. Robert Purchase
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Steady recovery

Partial knee replacements are similar to total knee replacements with some differences.
The patient will often spend some time in the hospital to recover although some patients can have it done as an outpatient. There is pain, but it can be managed with pain medicines. There is stiffness, but it will respond to pt. Your recovery will be gradual over at least 6 weeks but it can take 3-6 months.

In brief: Steady recovery

Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Robert Purchase