What can I apply to my scalp after hair transplant surgery to minimize discomfort?

Consult surgeon. You must be cautious to minimize disruption of the delicate grafts placed. Although a variety of medications such as steroids may be prescribed to dimishe swelling and promote hair growth (propecia, rogaine), discuss this with your physcian.
Follow MDs advice. You should not apply anything to your surgical area without permission of your treating doctor. Use of oral medications for discomfort are an option, but should only be done with the permission of your physician.
Try oral meds. Unless directed by your transplant surgeon, don't put any medications or chemicals on your scalp if you just had a transplant. Pain is usually not substantial. Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Ibuprofen would be good choices, or use a prescription if your surgeon gave you one. If the pain is severe, or not relieved by your medications, give your md a call.