When do you use prescription strength fish oil vs over the counter. Which one and strength do you recommend for dry eye conditions?

Dr. Bruce Ballon
Ophthalmology

In brief: High quality

I don't recommend a prescription fish oil.
I personally take icelandicformula4 fish oil (no financial interest). It is 100% omega 3. I also like barlean's brand available from amazon. Fish and flax oil are synergistic. 1000mg of fish oil and 1000mg of flax oil twice a day are a good dosage for dry eye. Avoid tilapia fish-it has omega 6.

In brief: High quality

Dr. Derek Sprunger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Dose on bottle

There is no 1 set dose for this treatment modality.
Advice not utilizing more than is suggested on bottle. Also, remember other treatments for dry eye: preservative free artificial tears, punctal plugs, restasis, etc.

In brief: Dose on bottle

Dr. Evans Prieston
Pharmacology

In brief: Fish Oil

If you select a high quality, ultra purified fish oil that came from cold water fish, there is really no therapeutic difference from the prescription brand of fish oil.
I would recommend a strength of either 1, 000 or 1, 250 mg. Always take your fish oil with a meal to reduce the likelihood of the fish oil belch.

In brief: Fish Oil

Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology