I take gabapentin 300 mg twice a day for severe bilateral peripheral neuropathy pain. Is 900 mg a day safe for kidneys? I'm stage 3, PKD patient.

Dr. Jack Rubin
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Increase Gabapentin?

Gabapentin (g) toxicity in patients with chronic kidney disease (ckd) is under recognized.
Patients with ckd often receive inappropriately high g dosage for their kidney function, occasioning overt toxicity; advanced age and comorbidity predispose ckd patients to toxicity. I would ask your nephrologist's (c) opinion before increasing the dose, as the n knows you the best.

In brief: Increase Gabapentin?

Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Djamchid Lotfi
Neurology

Recent studies suggest that 1800 mg is the most ideal dosage for most purposes naturally if a smaller dosage is working so much the better the drug is not nephrotoxic.

Dr. Djamchid Lotfi
Dr. Djamchid Lotfi
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Neurontin (gabapentin)

It should be safe.

In brief: Neurontin (gabapentin)

It should be safe.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Vikram Patel